NC500 Campervan Hire Idea
Where am I going?
To do the North Coast 500 which is otherwise known as the NC500.
How long do I need?
8 nights, but you can make it shorter if you spend 1 night in places rather than 2.
How much would that cost me?
Our NC500 Campervan Hire is available from £65 per night. Check out our FAQS for minimum hire periods, who can hire the our campervans and many other questions answered.
Where can I stay?
Use www.campsites.co.uk to choose your campsites. There are so many to choose from, but we recommend booking ahead of your trip to make sure you get a pitch.
What route can I take for the NC500 Campervan Hire?
- Day 1 – 3.5 hour drive, 200 miles, Pick up the VW Caddy Campervan in Peterborough, UK ready to start your NC500 Campervan Hire. The first stage will be to drive to the Lake District for a stop over to break up the journey.
- Day 2 – 4.5 hour drive, 270 miles – Drive to Inverness, UK to start the NC500. Spend 1 night here exploring (you’ll be going back at the end of the trip)
- Day 3 – 2 hour drive, 80 miles – Drive to Applecross, UK and spend 2 nights here exploring.
- Day 5 – 4 hour drive, 150 miles – Drive the micro campervan hire to Durness and spend 2 nights here exploring
- Day 7 – 2.5 hour drive, 105 miles – Drive the VW Caddy Campervan to Inverness and spend 1 night here exploring.
- Day 8 – 4 hour drive, 200 miles – Drive the Campervan hire to Northumberland National Park for a stop over to break up the journey on the way home.
- Day 9 – 3.5 hour drive, 200 miles – Drive the VW Campervan back to Peterborough, UK and finish your NC500 Campervan Hire.
What sort of things do I need to know about this version of the NC500?
The North Coast 500 (NC500) is a 500-something mile scenic drive. We have shortened it slightly, but you still get to see some amazing views as this is still 300-something miles from Inverness-Inverness. You will pass by some lovely quaint villages, so make sure you get up early to have time to stop before arriving in the main towns/cities which we have detailed more about below. It starts and ends at Inverness Castle, close to Loch Ness. You will explore the best parts of the North Highlands via wild coastal roads, seaside villages and historic towns. Now unless you want an eight hour drive from Peterborough to Inverness, we have added in a little stop over to the Lake District to break up the long journey and again in Northumberland National Park on the way back. You can change these to suit your needs of course!
Can you tell me a bit about the places I am going to be visiting?
* Inverness – Quaint, cobbled streets, unique shops and lively pubs, what’s not to like? Take a drive to Urquhart Castle, then see if you can spot Nessie! There is a Nessie museum too! Make sure you check out Inverness castle that has amazing views over the Highlands as well. Culloden Battlefield is nearby, and shouldn’t be missed by those interested in the the history of Scotland.
* Applecross – What about a day at the beach? With several lovely beaches here, a visit to one is a must! Beinn Eighe National Nature Reserve offers a range of trails for all abilities, each winding through its ancient pine forests. Or if you fancy something a bit more chilled – why not visit Inverewe Garden and Estate? A stunning sub-tropical botanical oasis set amid the rugged Wester Ross landscape.
* Durness – You’ve got a big day of driving and panoramas ahead of you as you head north to Durness. Stop for lunch at Achnahaird Bay, one of Scotland’s best beaches! We recommend Sango Sands near Durness to camp for two nights, where magnificent views await you! There is a lot on offer in Durness, (known as “the most spectacular corner in Scotland”). Sango Sands is a beautiful beach, so why not hang out there for the day? If you are up for a bit of adventure, head to “Smoo Cave” which is only a mile away. A sea and freshwater cavern complex charter, explored by boat or the walking path. For more information, check out Smoo Cave
We would strongly advise to check out the hints and tips before venturing off on this epic journey here: https://www.northcoast500.com/top-tips-hitting-route/.
Tell me you’re not excited for a DubKation now? Check out availability for your NC500 Campervan Hire